PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T/W Ratios vs Takeoff Distance and Takeoff Speed
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 00:09
CaseyErickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T/W Ratios vs Takeoff Distance and Takeoff Speed

I got a bunch of questions here mostly pertaining to thrust/weight ratios vs takeoff distance, and to an extent takeoff speed.

Okay, for example the SE-210 Caravelle I've been told has a pretty good handling and takeoff performance. However I've looked at the T:W figures and if I recall correctly (at least an early model) had a T:W of 0.2 : 1.0 when fully loaded which is actually quite poor. My only guess is that it's payload was only 3,000 pounds and it probably took a lot more fuel to propel those 3,000 pounds of payload, so even small reductions in pax weight would dramatically reduce fuel weight and thus lighten the plane up a bit, but I'm still not entirely sure there. How does it still manage a good takeoff performance? Was it's takeoff speed considered high, average, or low for a given takeoff weight? (say fully loaded, medium loaded, take your pick)

The CV-880 (Non M) is another plane that really baffles me. It had no LED's, had a very high takeoff speeds, and it allegedly can takeoff in 5,000 feet and land in 5,350 feet at certain weights, and it's T/W ratio was 0.244 : 1.000 fully loaded. While i'm pretty sure its T:W ratio was better at light to moderate loads, to my knowledge there were some planes with far better T:W ratios, and still had the same takeoff distance but also had far lower takeoff and landing speeds. What accounts for these?

Casey Erickson