PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was the RAF Waddington Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2007, 22:43
Flying_Anorak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one of those who listened to the forecast on Friday and chose to make my annual pilgrimage at 'Oh dark thirty' this morning from London to Waddington and learned of the cancellation when only a few miles away, I have to say I was bitterly disappointed and slightly suspicious of the reason given on BBC Radio Lincolnshire.
There was a lot of speculation on BBC Radio Lincolnshire and amongst other 'displaced' airshow goers found scattered around Lincolnshire and the East Coast resorts of Skeggie & Mabelthorpe later today that the weather was a convenient 'cover story'. I really hope this was not the case as I'd hate to think that we have now started hiding away and giving way to these nutters!

I sent a text to the aforementioned radio station's morning chat programme which was speculating as to the "real" reason why the show was cancelled suggesting that they shut up and stop giving these terrorists the oxygen of publicity they crave. Funnily enough, it wasn't read out that I heard!

I can understand the harsh decision that was taken if the requisite emergency services cover had been withdrawn but why not say that, suggesting it was due in the main to toilets not being serviced does sound frankly daft!
Its a shame that I didn't get to see the IAF Flankers and Candid and my commiserations to those who worked so hard (personal friends included) to almost make today happen! Still, at least I got to see what the East Coast Tourist board has to offer visitors.....

Roll on RIAT and I hope the toilet contractors have tracked vehicles and plenty of loo roll, just in case....