PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteorite: IT WAS CLOSE, I THINK!
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2002, 15:07
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've seen what looked like meteors between 5 and 10000' in light twins on at least 3 occasions over the last few years. Two of these were on seperate nights whilst flogging cargo across Scotland at night, which at first I thought were greenish fireworks falling past me within a mile or so. Thinking about it I couldn't believe that any fireworks (even Glasgow ones) could be falling past at over a mile high, and the most likely suspect would be a meteor at a greater distance. They both seemed to fall relatively slowly, vertically, and trailed green fragments as they fell past my level, and were visible against the dark ground for quite a distance below the horizon. . .The other occasion was when operating two crew near dusk, passing the Solway Firth, when we both saw something fall past which was definitely within a mile, as it fell in front of cumulus at our level. We both suspected it was a flare from the Kircudbright ranges which we were close to, but Scottish advised us that there was no activity at the time. Still, it made us jump!