PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FedEX HKG Ex-pat package is out, and boy is it funny...
Old 1st Jul 2007, 08:45
Drunknsailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tung Chung is right by the airport. As you are on final to 25 they are the highrise towers you see on your left descending through 600 feet. Prices vary from about USD 800 a month to USD 1800 a month for the standard apartments in the buildings; 700 sqf two bedrooms through 1300 sqf 3 bedrooms. One point to note, however, HK measures gross square footage, meaning the size of the box PLUS your share of the common area elevator shaft etc. so you can shave between 150-300 sqf off of the quoted size. I live in a 1080 sqf flat that is about 800 sqf of living space!

As far as what is in Tung Chung, not a whole heck of a lot I'm afraid. CityGate outlet mall is here and there is a movie theatre there. There are a few restaurants, all serving some sort of asian fare! There is a well stocked grocery store and you can easily get take out from Indian, Thai and a Pizza joint!

As far as single prowling is concerned, the one pub is called the Aviator, it is knicknamed the Gayviator, nuff said.

Tung Chung is 25 minutes from Central where you can find just about anything you need.

I don't mean to knock Tung Chung, there are a lot of people very happy here, there are better places to live, but they are all more expensive than Tung Chung.

With 20k HKD (USD2500) You can rent a small place in DB, a smaller Village HOuse in South LAntau(over the hill from the airport) or about 700sqf in town.

All this being said, vote that proposal down guys, it is definitely below market!

All in all, Tung Chung is not that bad.