PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attention EK A330 pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2007, 00:01
Ronnie Raygun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD
For your info. The managed descent profile on the 330 is very conservative,especially with the new idle factor and 99.9% of EK 330 drivers fly managed descents. Rarely have I seen anyone intentionally fly past the descent arrow before requesting descent.
I always do my own calculations and frequently find that the fms wants to descend 30-40 miles before my open descent calculations (especially with default speed settings). I still fly the managed descent as this is what the company want me to do.
I flew into Dubai last week via bubin and the fms profile showed 10000 ft at approx 65 miles with a slight tailwind. ATC restrictions didnt allow the managed descent but it would have worked out nicely. The guy you are talking about was more than likely just flying a managed descent and prompting you for lower so that he could stay on the profile without leveling off. Of course we all have the option of open descent and use of speed/ airbrakes, but thats not the point.
Like others have mentioned, its often very difficult to predict what is going to happen on atc handover and I have frequently found myself being told to speed up by one agency and slow down by another immediatly on handover.
You might feel bullied by pilots constantly asking for further descent or speeds but it is necessary as second guessing dosnt work.
Ronnie