PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Failure Rates
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2007, 12:31
Al Kida

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Great QL debate

Buzzbox said:
"As far as "give them more training until they are up to speed", I believe that is the whole point of the JFO system. JFOs are kept in the 'system' where they can be monitored and can consolidate their initial training for 6 months before the QL. Along the way the low time guys (and anyone else who needs it) are given consolidation flights with training captains to help them achieve the required standard by the time they come up for their QL. If they don't achieve that standard then they are given more training before a further QL."

This phrase would have been correct 2 years ago, they were called FC's or flight checks, however, this is no longer the case. FC's were canned when I was JFO, so from the time I checked out as a JFO, I never flew with any trainers until the QL check came along.

I would therefore have to agree that the QL check would now be a waiste of time, but dare I say it, it saves the company $15000 a month per JFO.
Also, in my humble opinion, if you cant fly any aircraft up to the limits, then you shouldnt have the rating. I am however not sure what the industry standard is for these F/O limitations are.

Back to the thread though, it certainly seems to me that the high failure rate is directly attributable to certain individual checkers and there inabilty to adequately train. Interesting when one of them was "pulled" from checking, the pass rate shot up.

No doubt too that the Relief commander (only found in CX) was at a massive dissadvantage when he was finally thrown into the left seat.
Thankfully that is now , sort of, gone

Badair..."We are operating airplanes just like every other airline, not the bloody space shuttle, why do we have so many problems???"

Cos we got our hair on fire... mate!!!!