PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpressurised scheduled passenger transport?
Old 30th Jun 2007, 07:31
LateFinals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons I got my PPL was because I have been flying with Aurigny to Alderney for the last 12 years and know many of the Aurigny pilots. I have been lucky enough to sit up front for many sectors, and have even got 7 trilander hours hours logged (following a private charter).

This is what flying is about ! Single pilot, multiple sectors, up to 6 IFR approaches daily down to minimas is not uncommon, the
Aurigny pilots have to be amongst the most skilled in the world. To clear up a thread misconception the Aurigny Trilanders do have autopilots, and when low visibility procedures are in operation at Alderney they are vectored by Guernsey onto the inbound NDB track rather than doing the full approach. As has been said SVFR clearances between the Islands are "not above 1,000 (or 2,000) feet" which gives amazing views.

Aurigny fly airways, where as Blue Islands tend not to, the local island gossip being so BlueIslands can save money from Eurocontrol costs. There's always been friendly rivalry between Aurigny and Blue Islands, set to increase as Blue Islands have now got the JetStreams.

(Anybody wanting IFR training couldn't do better than Guernsey, the ATC are so helpful and friendly)

Cheers,

LF