PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Failure Rates
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2007, 06:58
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Badairsucker, I did read your post again and you said:
How does most of the worlds airlines manage to cope with employing low time pilots and sticking them in the right hand seat of a jet and letting them lose, then after a few years they are in the left hand seat.
Sorry, but Easyjet, Ryanair and UK charter companies aren't "most of the world[']s airlines". Let's compare apples with apples.

As far as "give them more training until they are up to speed", I believe that is the whole point of the JFO system. JFOs are kept in the 'system' where they can be monitored and can consolidate their initial training for 6 months before the QL. Along the way the low time guys (and anyone else who needs it) are given consolidation flights with training captains to help them achieve the required standard by the time they come up for their QL. If they don't achieve that standard then they are given more training before a further QL.

It's unfortunate that all JFOs are sent through the same process, regardless of experience. Perhaps the experienced guys could be upgraded straight away to FO once they pass the Aircraft Line Check, but where do you draw the line in the sand experience-wise: 1,000 hours, 2,000 hours? It wouldn't matter where the line was drawn, someone would feel hard done by. I guess CX has chosen to reduce everyone to the lowest common denominator and start from there.

Last edited by BuzzBox; 30th Jun 2007 at 09:01.