PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets in offshore ops?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2007, 21:43
diginagain

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having worn a helmet during my military flying I can well appreciate the benefits; in fact, I was quite surprised when I started my second career (in the offshore drilling sector) to see aircrew without, but while I believe aircrew should be given the maximum protection available, I foresee a snag.

Someone flying as pax will see the crew wearing electric hats, and will demand that they are made available to all onboard, without understanding the rationale for the crew to have them, nor the need for training in wearing them correctly to obtain the best protection, the supply and maintenance chain, hygiene issues and costs involved, which will have to be absorbed by someone.

To reitereate, in my personal opinion, the provision of helmets for aircrew cannot be a bad thing, but I can't see it happening.

Rotordk, the Danes seem to understand the helideck hazards rather better than others. A company I worked for provided the same helmets for our helideck crews in the UK sector, but without some compulsion to wear them, the helmets remained in the stores.