PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - vortex ring alt + vsi
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2007, 17:37
Swamp76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread.

In one of my previous lives we did a lot of this type of training for a very good reason: our pilots were at risk and there many SWP/VRS incidents/accidents. We wanted to stop that.

We would get them to take us to 1500-2000' and enter a typical regime of flight (low ROD, low A/S, partial power) and hold it until the a/c would noticeably accelerate down, noting the warning signs it was giving us.

Once well established on the elevator ride down we would recover, generally with forward cyclic. Of particular note was how long and how pronounced the control input needed to be to recover. That was the key as the normal theory of cyclic recovery wasn't telling htem just how much would be required to recover, and how much of an attitude change would result.

The training was effective, they learned a lot. I would say it felt like a VRS not SWP but who am I?

We called it VRS recovery training. We did it in the R22, R44, B206, HU500, and AS350: everything involved in seismic work at the time. The incident rate went way down.