PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpressurised scheduled passenger transport?
Old 29th Jun 2007, 17:20
Life's a Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WR
Are single-pilot IFR public transport operations permitted? (I thought not.)
I hope so as I have been doing them for some time now!

The only things we have on the piston aircraft that the Islanders/Trislanders don't are autopilot and turbochargers (and I suppose sound proofing!). These do solve a few of the issues. I spend most of my time at FL90 or FL100 rather than FL50 to FL70 typical of a normally-aspirated aircraft, so am above the weather during the cruise on 95% of flights. The autopilot helps an awful lot, especially in busy airspace, and some of them can even fly coupled approaches.

However I will not only do everything Aurigny, Blue Islands and Lydd Air will do with those aircraft, and have been into all the airfields they operate from, but also I have also been all over Europe, from Spain to Norway, Ireland to Poland. I have flown into the busiest 4 airports in Europe as well as small strips with no approach aids. None of this is too hard - as long as you have the experience and the training, with the support of a good operations department (lacking in some light-charter companies).

I tend to fly in controlled airspace. Routing can be more complicated because I am restricted to FL100, but that is an issue for our ops. I just fly where ATC tell me to. Some routes I will fly outside controlled airspace, usually still IFR, just because it is quicker. That's my choice. Other companies make their pilots fly VFR all around Europe, which depite WR's reasonable preference for being flown VFR on a short, familiar trip, is far harder for the pilot and far less safe when they are flying for a couple of hours on an unfamiliar route. IFR flying is always the easiest way once you are used to it.

One advantage to our operations is that there is no-one else there. Except in terminal areas with airliners in climb or decent the only people at FL100 are unpressurised turbo-charged aircraft. There are not that many of those about! I suppose the Is and Tris are generally lower, but it's still pretty quiet at FL60

HWD

Quite right. However this is also the most fun flying, so I am not about to fight to swap with an airline pilot!

Last edited by Life's a Beech; 29th Jun 2007 at 17:30.