PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - July 2007 calendar
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2007, 17:01
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I notice what has started as a mickey take (is that PC?) of the pilot in questions bladder capacity, has started a discussion on Police operations in a life or death situation.

For my tuppence on this, I would refer to the last comment by topcat28 (his first by the way! )

Although I would never wish to be in the same position as that poor lady, I would sincerely hope that, if I was, the pilot would make the same selfless decision.
I would like to know what was meant by a 'selfless descision', because the way I read it, Selfless : Tending to consider the welfare of others before one's own, would mean a normally unacceptable risk to the pilot, his crew, the aircraft and those around the area including the casualty, the ambulance crews, police attending and of course the onlookers.

In fact it was clearly not a selfless descision, as Heliport tells us "A crew decision was made to go ahead", it was a calculated decision ultimately made by the pilot but with consultation with his crew.....which is the purpose of CRM courses.

Well done all, something the rest of us can learn by, as much as when it all goes wrong.