PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Safety Demonstration
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2001, 00:05
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Trislander - Oh Yes. Big time!

This is from a British perspective but aspects may be familiar to other countries.

Firstly, note how dirty the streets of Britain are. Note how people throw litter from car windows. They do the same in aircraft, except that the windows are not open, so they drop it on the floor, like they do the train and bus.

Secondly, when I first travelled by air (Dec 1965, aged nine) my parents told my brother, sister and I that we were to behave as if we were sitting in the living room of our parent's friends. So we behaved ourselves!

In the 1970s air travel had to expand and it did so in two ways. The 747 and continuing in the 1980s with the 767 which really re-wrote the book. But also, the discount long haul. Bless Sir Freddie Laker's cotton socks but he filled planes with folks who had never been on them.

Unfortunately, in the rush to get new pax on the wide bodies, no one was going to tell them how to behave, how to treat the cabin staff, how not to drink, how to be prepared for an emergency, how not to carry loads of duty-free etcetera.

Twenty years later, here we are! They sold tickets and made out it was a bus or a train and that's what many of them do