PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - vortex ring alt + vsi
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2007, 20:17
[email protected]

Received 657 Likes on 290 Posts
OK Nick now you have confused me (it is easily done) - how do you get to vertical autorotation without lowering the lever? To get into VRS you have to aggravate the incipient condition by applying power thus worsening the root stall and the tip vortex. How can this configuration (presuming you take no recovery action) get you to a windmill brake/autorotative state?

Topend - only eagle mentioned the sycamore and only once, all the other comments have been regarding modern helos.

As for the R22 - with anything other than one person on board it has a woeful power margin unless the fuel tanks are empty or you are in the habit of ignoring the MAP limits. I believe Frank himslef stated that his intention was to produce an affordable helicopter for the masses (a bit like the VW Beetle) - but it gets used for all sorts of other things because it is very cheap to run compared to a turbine helo. I also believe it is used most for training and private use.

Can it be chucked around? yes. But don't try to compare that to really manoeuvreable helicopters like Lynx, Commanche etc. There are hundreds of pilots who think because the rotor doesn't drop off that they are not doing any damage operating the aircraft like that - the R22 was not designed for mustering and you guys only use it because it is cheap.

As for the office - well mine is in a big yellow Sea King and I get to rescue people in it, it's always a good day at the office