PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 28th Jun 2007, 07:45
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Coral. HID/TI is a case in point. If memory serves me correctly, initially the Torres Shire Council wanted nothing to do with the airport ownership but were told "take it or we'll close it".

They were enticed by - I think - resheeting the tarmac at Commonwealth expense plus $3 mill towards future costs.

Then the Torres Shire Council complained they were responsible for the total cost of operating the aerodrome, whilst the benefit was enjoyed by the residents of approximately twelve or thirteen Councils.

That was the justification to introduce the RPT Passenger Head Tax to fund the HID airport operation.

I don't think Dick is interested in cost saving - or redistribution of Government aviation based profits to rural airports.

In the rural town in which I live, which has a Base Hospital, hardly a night passes without an RFDS King Air flying over my house. Our airport is as important to this town as ambulance services, train and bus services (which we don't have) and Pizza Hut restaurants are to city dwellers.