PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers refuse to fly after tanks overfilled
Old 28th Jun 2007, 07:18
Beausoleil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to think of an analogy. Try this.

You're in the dentist's chair waiting for the anaesthetic to take hold - the dentist and assistant are next door doing some paperwork. Suddenly, blood starts spurting intermittently from your gum where the needle went in. You alert the dentists, but he doesn't look up or come in he just says "there's sometimes a little blood from the gum - perfectly normal".

Are you reassured completely, or do those stories of people dying in dentists' chairs come to mind? Is your attitude to someone who insists on the dentist coming and looking that they shouldn't hold up the queue of patients outside?

In general, I'm curious about pilots - do they generally have a "the expert knows best, I'll not worry about it" attitude to life? I'm an academic - if your child comes home saying they've had a bad experience in a university class do you say "well, the lecturer has been doing this for a long time - he knows what he's doing - you should calm down and let him do his job"?

I'm guessing that trust in experts is no more widespread among pilots than among the rest of the population.