PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 28th Jun 2007, 03:58
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Coral. I don't think you understand the airport cost dilema in rural communities, or even appreciate the cost to maintain a rural airport to a level appropriate to the communities needs.

I live in a rural community which receives Dash 8 scheduled air services, 24 hour aero medical services and a small amount of GA aircrsft movements.

Some years ago the then Minister (Anderson) "granted" rural airports to local communities under the Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan (ALOP). At that time financial inducements could be negotiated but the bottom line from the Minister was simply "take over the airport or we close it".

Rural Councils were forced to assume operational and financial responsibility for airports which in most cases, were essential infrastructure, critical to the needs, welfare and delivery of services to that local community. In many cases, the airports required extensive initial and on going maintenance and since Councils assumed control, additional requirements have been imposed including the recent security fencing requirement.

The dilema for most Councils is that their rate base is simply too small to support their airport to the required standard to sustain, in the case of the community in which I live, 24 hour aero medical operations and daily scheduled airline services. Landing charges were introduces, generally a nominal sum of $10 to $15 for a light SE aircraft, however with less than twenty flight movements per day, the resultant revenue versus cost was but a mere "drop in the bucket". Also, aeromedical services, which constitute many of the movements each day (and night), are generally exempt from landing fees - as it should be.

Why should my Council rates and taxes subsidise your private aviation interests?

Another argument in rural Councils is that many rural airports serve multiple council residents (in our case, seven Councils), whilst one Council is required to bear all the cost.

I do not know of one rural Council that makes a profit on it's airport ownership and operation.

There is a very strong case for the Federal Government to rebate it's profits from capital city airport leases, ASA operational profits and aviation fuel excise and GST, back to rural councils, which are striving to provide for essential air services to their communities.

We both know that will not happen.

Chuck. Whilst not commenting on Maroochydore, I can think of a number of airports where the land should indeed be converted to residential or commercial use, Toowoomba being one example! Inclement weather (particularly fog), proximity to Oakey, town center location and a host of other reasons indicate it will only be a matter of time before Toowoomba airport land is put to far better use.