PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Unhappy??
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2007, 19:07
WHOOPEYDOO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a lot of thinking, at the age of 32 I decided to leave my career as an I.T. professional to become a comercial pilot, I gave up a good salary of over 30k and remortgaged my house, I started an integrated course, and 18 months later I had my shiny ATPL , 1 year passed and I could not get a job , I even did dispatching for 6 months to remain in aviation, I was earning £5.33 GROSS an hour and thought I had made the maddest mistake of my life, but I had spent my money and had to keep on going no matter what.

Finally got a break with ryanair and yes I paid for the TR too, (dont care what people say about paying for your TR, I had already spent 60k, so my options were stop, try to find another career and start repaying 60k or find another 20k and fly, there was only one decision to take), so I got throught the TR ok, its true that whilst your line training for Fr, about 6 weeks, you operate at a loss, but once singed off you get a little more basic and half sector pay, after 6 months you go on to full sector pay and frankly the pay is ok, not many jobs within 6 months from starting as a newbie have you clearing on average £2500 a month. Im flying a 737-800 and have a good roster so over all its ok.

Would I do it again? mmmmmmmm I do love flying and am delighted to have made it but the price you pay is ridiculous and when you have spent 60k and dont have a job, it is truly the worst feeling in the world - in my 1 year of looking for a job, there were some dark months, this is felt even more so if you are married with a family. I am lucky for I am mid thirties and have a jet job and will have a good 25 years hopefully flying. That said I know others who have been through integrated courses and couldnt get the job, have given up and have colossal debt to repay, its a hell of a gamble........