PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Pursuing a Career as a Pilot Please....
Old 27th Jun 2007, 16:00
Topcat11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age is no concern, if flying is your passion, go for it! But be sure it really is what you want as it is costly. It would not be good to near completion and find it isn't what you really want.

I started the ATPL ground exams at the age of 34, at 36 I've just completed them but unfortunately failed the last one by 4% having passed the other 13. It's the end of the professional route for me, but PPL still keeps me airborne.

If you really want to know if flying is right for you, get a trial lesson, then perhaps work towards your PPL, you can do that whilst upholding a full time job on the ground somewhere - it'll help cut the costs and allow you to make some useful career decisions before commiting a great deal more money.

It you do go for the ATPL, just be prepared for some seriously hard work, it's intense so you need a great deal of drive and commitment, plus you need to be damn good at maths and physics - maths more than anything though. Good luck with it!