PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - vortex ring alt + vsi
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2007, 12:25
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point Shawn in a count of one to five for the time sequence of the airframe vibes, I’d suggest that the sinking feeling first comes in at about number three.

Crab, you must have had god awful day at the office,

you are saying that you are right and that the rest of the known helicopter world is wrong.

If you qualify the rest of the world as four people only on this forum who speak about the deadly characteristics of one helicopter type only, the pommy built sycamore, as the rest of the world then I’d suggest that you’re odds are a bit long.

I’m still keen to find out just what it is that it carries downwards for 8000 feet, a stalled set of blades perhaps?? A single vortex ring bubble it is not.

If a lot of R22s crash during mustering I would suggest that maybe it's because letting cowboys fly an aircraft

Regrettably this may be the statistics of the not too distant future, many cowboys are indeed getting themselves PHL’s and helicopters (10 in the NT alone in the last two years) and venturing into our increasingly unregulated commercial world out here and the result of course may be regrettable. However that is off thread. Many ex mustering jocks are flying worldwide with excellent cred.

So as far as ego is concerned I have no idea, I’m still learning.

that was designed as a commuter and is always underpowered is not a great idea (even if it is cheap). Excellent manoeuvrability requires lots of excess power, good control power and good control margins, none of which are demonstrated by the R22.

You obviously know so much about the underrated, over powered, highly manoeuvrable R22 that it’s not worth my while presenting another side. As a commuter, only, you should get out and read more; it might be a commuter in less than five percent of its world market.

As I have said before anyone who under sell the R22’s inventor’s intelligence so much by saying that ALL he was ever designing it for was as a commuter, than they must be indeed a poor judge of character if not downright insulting?

Nick, I think most of your points are in confirmation with mine. Also the entire army you talked about may be same one that gave rise to Manningham’s article because of their “approaching to land crash statistics” over a ten year period.

The highest common denominator being those in calm winds despite a cross section of operations and aircraft (all of which had sufficient power to hover OGE).

It’s a great pity more practice had not been done to prevent that. Remember the important point, done at ab-initio to recognise and avoid is most important, there is no need to try it on later in big aircraft.

The only reason i teach it is because slack instructors have not.