PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about use of a/c external lights
Old 27th Jun 2007, 12:25
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about use of a/c external lights

Hello folks,

A question from a low-hour student about use of external aircraft lights (i.e. Nav, strobes, landing light etc.). Have tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything...

In our club checklist we use anti-collision lights (strobes) at all times, switching them on just before startup and they don't get switched off until after shutdown. Also, we only use the landing light 1) just before take-off, switching off at 300 feet and 2) when in the circuit. Fair enough.

However, I have noticed that other aircraft, mostly commercial aircraft, use their landing lights much earlier, and seem to have them on even before they are established on the approach. I don't think this is a bad idea - makes you more visible after all.

Is their a set distance from an airfield or a certain altitude at which landing lights must be on for commercial aircraft, or is it down to pilot discretion?

And, for any pilots of GA a/c who may be reading this, when do you use your landing lights?

Also, obviously Nav lights must be used in darkness, but are their any rules about their use in daylight? I have noticed many commercial a/c with Nav lights on even in normal daylight. Again is it down to pilot discretion?

Havern't had a chance to see what LASORS has to say about this so thought I'd ask here.

Cheers

Smithy