PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young Private Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2007, 13:58
tegwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...I make up 1/3 of my age group...

I completed my PPL(H) 3 months before my 19th Birthday...

It has to be said that some of the snobbery and bellitlment from the older pilots is quite amazing....Just because im decades younger than them and only just out of nappies (according to them) they assume that I should be a crap pilot and are just waiting for me to fail...

On the flip side, its quite easy for a young pilot to get cocky and rush things hence make stupid mistakes and prove all the old men right...

I find so long as I put my sencible hat on the moment I get to the airfield and think rationally about every move I make and act like a proffesionaly trained pilot, there is no reason why I am not just as good, if not better than the OAP's....

Some of the coments I get from people are great though...Landed at a private field, jumped out of the helicopter, shortly after, a group of people wondered over to see what was going on.....they outright refused to believe me that I was the pilot and wanted to know where he had gone......Needless to say I did point out the fact that they had just watched me land and would have seen if the pilot had done a runner...perhaps they might like to check in the storage compartment incase the pilot is hiding there....

Oh, and yes, living at home is a mixed blessing...cheap food, cheap accomodation so more money to pay back this BIG loan...however...having the parens sitting on your back again after spending a year living away from home isnt nice