PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closed Threads Complaint.
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2001, 15:58
TomPierce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HoltCJ

There will always be reasons for actions, whatever they are, some are less savoury or understandable than others. However, I would be pleased if I can bring my tuppenceworth back into your original argument. If you wish not to answer that is fine of course.

As I saw it you had a situation where Flight Time Limitations in CAP371 (FTL) had been exceeded, as stated in the Company's Operations Manual. I trust this is correct so far? This referred to an "instruction" or whatever, which was given to, I think you said 'A' from 'B', his boss I believe.

Also please correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe that 'A' was actually and actively engaged in Ground School studies, or was about to finish them, prior to actual flight training. So, by definition 'A' was not engaged in flying. When then these studies were finished 'B' instructed 'A' to then make himself available a couple of days later to undertake Flight Training. I hope that is all correct too.

It then seems that there was immense opposition to this by 'A' because it contravened the Ops Manual and FTL because he was tired and needed a couple of days off(?) and 'A' decided that he would not accept this instruction, and resigned because it contravened CAP371. 'B' then apparently required that a bond 'A' signed up to be paid up.

Why did 'A' resign? In the situation above, if I have correctly understood it, CAP371 and the Operations Manual do not apply here because it was nothing to do with flying. Therefore, Ground School cannot be considered as being part of the FTL and 'A' therefore does not have a case until he starts a duty period commencing and ending will an operational flying duty. Including, of course, positioning time, which is limited, and depending on the time of day and the number of sectors he can fly in accordance with CAP371.

CAP371 is a tool designed by Douglas Bader and others many years ago which has not changed that much, but I have never seen it refer to any ground school time being included in it in direct regard to Flight Time Limitation.

As a clearly learned gentleman you would enlighten me if this is not the case. Then, perhaps, I shall consider that my age has after all caught up with me after many years of flying.

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: UncleTomCobbly ]