PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shirley Bassey & Night Flying (UK)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2007, 21:53
plodpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you’re missing the point Twiddle. He didn’t just fly into this weather from out of the blue, and unlike you, who did divert to an airport, he flew past two within 3nm of his eventual LS.

Plus Expenses stated it clearly and concisely; the weather was crap, forecast to stay the same and he binned it.

The forecast hasn’t changed much in the last 10 days, and if anything it has deteriorated. As commercial pilots we fly to strict minima which far exceed a PPLs. I’m not knocking PPLs; I started as one and worked my way up to ATPL(H). We’re not infallible gods and have all experienced bad weather en route on tasks at some time, and most have also had to put down in a field at sometime, but the forecast on Sunday was not marginal it was PANTS from Somerset to Surrey and beyond. He had no right being in the air on a commercial charter, if that’s what it was.

With the greatest of respect, decisions made between pilots and their friends out on a jolly, however, are not governed by the same rules as commercial flights (as I'm you’re aware).