PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 25th Jun 2007, 17:51
Jimmy Macintosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had attrocious A-level results, but managed to get onto a degree.

For the first two jobs I had after graduating from Uni I had to explain the poor a level grades, thankfully I got a good 2:1 and could show the results of each part of my course for my final year. But I did have to explain what had happened.

Now no-one even asks about my a-levels, and my degree is literally do I have a degree of a certain level now.

This is your last chance, screw up the degree and you'll struggle for that first job, a friend at Uni got a girlfriend in the final year and decided to spend all of his time with her. He got a low 3rd, took him three years to get a job that he wanted.

Work hard, get a good degree, get in the industry that you want and then mistakes during your a-levels can be overlooked.

Of course with pilot training it's about the licences, ability and whether your face fits. So bad a-levels aren't necessarily going to hold you back. When I interviewed for the cadetship with BA I had to explain the poor a-levels, but that was it. But they were not the reason I didn't get it, had an extensive debrief about 6 months later and I know where I went wrong.

Last edited by Jimmy Macintosh; 25th Jun 2007 at 17:55. Reason: Ooops, focused outside of pilot training there...