PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shirley Bassey & Night Flying (UK)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2007, 15:35
keepin it in trim

Apache for HEMS - Strafe those Survivors!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work for the largest onshore operator of twins in the UK (they said it, not me) mostly doing AA and some police. All our AA pilots were sp IR and the aircraft was very well set up for sp ifr, before that I spent 10 years flying heavy twins on SAR.

I still find it incredible that so many people fly quite large, in relative terms, distances in non-ifr aircraft, in often poor weather. Don't even get me started on the long distance "night VFR" public transport issue which has tragically resulted in quite a number of deaths over recent years. This whole area needs serious review, or are we just prepared to let people, under severe commercial pressure, keep killing themselves and others. We live in a country with weather that can at best be described as variable, if you go inadvertant imc in an aircraft not equipped for it and/or you are not trained for it, the time to loss of control is shockingly small. At that point your survival chances are also shockingly small. Thank God this incident didn't reach that stage.

If I seem a little passionate about this, it is because I have seen the results of loss of control in these conditions, it is not nice and the additional human misery it causes to the near and dear of those involved is awful. I am afraid though that incidents and accidents will continue to occur until sensible enforcement of the rules makes people take notice, and also until the long distance night vfr farce is ended, night vfr belongs in the visual circuit.

Rant off, sorry