PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shirley Bassey & Night Flying (UK)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2007, 07:34
docstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bassey

NEWS BASSEY CHEATS DEATH IN HELICOPTER SCARE Music, movie & Entertainment News

BASSEY CHEATS DEATH IN HELICOPTER SCARE

2007-06-25 08:53:08 -
Singer DAME SHIRLEY BASSEY narrowly escaped death last night when the helicopter carrying her home from the Glastonbury Festival was forced to make a terrifying emergency landing in high winds.
The chopper carrying the veteran back to London from the event in the south west of England suffered a suspected mechanical failure and almost hit treetops and telephone cables as it was buffered by heavy rain and strong winds.
Witnesses have told British newspaper the Daily Mirror they heard a strange "mechanical clunking" noise before the pilot made an emergency landing at a college in Surrey.
The pilot said after landing, "That was terrifying. I was losing power and the mist was so thick I couldn't see where I was going. I've got a special passenger. We had an almighty let off. Thank God." The shaken star, 70, said after climbing out of the helicopter, "Thank God.
What a horrid ordeal. I'm so glad we somehow made it down safe," before asking locals who had gathered at the scene, "So sorry to have bothered you. May I please use someone's toilet? And a cup of tea would go down a treat." (IG/WNTMI/MT) WENN - SPECIAL NEWS - 25 JUNE 2007