PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Door fell off Merlin at Salthill Airshow, 3 injured.
Old 25th Jun 2007, 06:29
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nutloose
Puma's don't have bubble windows or inflight ladders!, and what was the door loss in Norway?? Are you thinking of a different aircraft type perhaps??
Tigs, I think that he is referring to the bubble window underneath the rear of the fuselage, whose loss along with the 8' strop is quite pheasable. I would have doubted that the maintenance ladder would have fallen but clearly it may have done. This would have been before the 'bits box' was a permanent feature and when the jammer was not required on a daily basis.

I have not heard this story before but did hear about the load pole departing in the days before it was strapped to the aircraft.

There are sadly many incidents of emergency doors falling after the general public have has had access to yellow and black levers, and it usually concludes with crew members in deep quano. This being despite the real offender placing levers back into their rightfull position. Morale is to check the pins, but I have no idea if that is even possible on the Merlin hatch, which gives the likelihood that there will be no public access to military helicopters. This is an understandable loss to the genuinely interested public who respect keepng their dinkies off 'controls'.