PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 25th Jun 2007, 03:48
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
SM4 Pirate, it all depends on the way it is handled. Look at what has happened to air fares since competition was allowed. Not only have air fares dropped dramatically, but nearly three times as many Australians now travel by air. It is cheaper to go by air to many places than to go by bus.

It must be handled correctly. If the Government handles it like they did the sale of Sydney or Bankstown airports, it will be a disaster.

It is interesting that in New Zealand, where it is open to competitive tender, the costs are way lower. What about Ardmore Aerodrome, which is New Zealand’s equivalent to Bankstown? It was costing a fortune when being operated by the Airways Corporation of New Zealand. It is now – or was when I last looked into it – run by the flying schools at Ardmore Aerodrome. I think the cost is about 10% of what it was previously and they still have very high safety outcomes.

The information in relation to ASA restructuring their rescue and fire fighting for some type of sale is really interesting. This is why we need PPRuNe. Can you find out if that is what they are doing? It will be a disaster if the rescue and fire fighting is sold off so someone like the Macquarie Bank at the highest price. We will all be ruined!

By the way, it is current Australian air traffic controllers who have told me that they can run these towers at a far lower cost to the industry, while actually earning more money for themselves. It is probably tied up with more enlightened rostering, without huge amounts of money going the Canberra head office.

I happen to love competition – especially when it is genuine competition. When I head off to Harvey Norman, or (dare I say it) the Dick Smith Powerhouse, I totally believe that these businesses give me a competitive price without collusion.