PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conditions of Service Negotiations...Current Status?
Old 25th Jun 2007, 02:11
Captain Don Quixote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbour Dweller,
good point. If I stayed on the 400 as an SO I would be earning $30-$50K a year more than a Cathay FO with more days off as well. If I go onto the 737 or 767 as an FO I will get slightly more money but the days off will drop back. No matter what, I will be on more money, just not sure which seat of which aircraft.

Qantas has had a quiet time for last few years but they have a huge training plan in place for the next few years. Prospective new recruits are being told commands would be 10-11 years on 737/767. Current salary on those fleets are well in excess of CX salaries.

I thought there must have been some 'X' factor I was missing why people went to CX - but no one has told me anything on this thread that makes me see why it makes sense.

My command will take a couple of years longer, my pay will most probably be higher for most of the first decade and then accelerate way ahead of Cathay after that. My Super is defined benefit. My allowances are twice the amount. I get long service leave, industrial protection and clean air. I think I can put up with calling the captain skipper for a while.

My Qantas mates don't have any real problems with the training system either versus some pretty 'interesting' stories from Cathay!

Back to my cube folding books!