PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Door fell off Merlin at Salthill Airshow, 3 injured.
Old 24th Jun 2007, 22:24
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there about 100 feet away. It was the emergency door? on the starboard sliding door. Someone said they saw the crew chief try to stop it falling.
The Tyrone news is a bit wrong. It wasn't hovering, it was departing. I didn't see it hit anyone but on the news the video seemed to show that one man was clipped by it as it landed. He hopped up immediately and checked the state of the kid in the orange top lying nearby. I saw her dive to the ground, she wasn't hit. I suspect that the injuries are more related to diving for cover than impact although the man hit by the door might have some pain tonight. All of the injured were in fact standing up while being treated. It could have being a lot worse, a few seconds earlier and it would have hit people crowded on the prom. The beach was relatively uncrowded compared to earlier. The Thunderbirds had just finished their display and people were going home. As I left there were several disconsolate RAF types helping the police with their enquiries.
Here's the video.
http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/
I, of course had a perfectly good camera in my hand but failed to take a single shot.