PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cadet schemes
Thread: cadet schemes
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2007, 21:38
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've actually asked a new question, so I'll give my tuppence worth.

Airline schemes are incredibly difficult to get onto. Most of them require A-levels and many require very specific ones, maths and physics or a hard science before you can even apply. From what I can tell, the success rate is usually less than 10% of those that apply. I haven't seen the sort of maturity in your posts that would lead me to think your odds are even that high. The interviewers will chew you up and spit you out, so I echo the advice to get thyself off to A-levels then to Uni. Maybe once your parents see you have some patience and you can handle some responsibility, they will realize you might make it as an airline pilot and decide to help you with it financially.

Even having the required A-levels is not usually enough to get a sponsored seat because there are hundreds of people with university degrees that apply for sponsored programmes. Being at least three years older and a bit wiser and more mature, they might knock you and your A-levels out of the competition, so now there is a second reason to go to Uni.

Finally, if you've never participated in a pilot aptitude test, you owe it to yourself to make sure the first time you do it is not when you are competing for an airline cadet programme. It is daffy to apply to one of these deluding yourself into thinking you could be in the top 10% if you have never tasted what you are in for. The best £200 quid you might ever spend would be to get yourself over to GAPAN for the Pilapt testing. If you haven't got the money for it, then apply to the RAF and see how far you get with their testing.