PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots flying for US Carriers
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2007, 17:00
thornycactus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adjusting

Originally Posted by Effee
Hi, In response to why I do not choose to fly for my own national airline, Singapore Airlines needs all cadets for direct entry to be 26 and above. They do not consider anyone under 26. the basis for this is so that we have enough pilots for our airforce. I am currently 21, no way i'm waiting 5 years to get into commercial, and i will not be accepted into the airforce due to wearing glasses. Anyway, I have decided to pursue flight training in Canada.
I met some RSAF high ranking pilot officers (LTC and COL rank) in an occasion. These guys were telling me that SIA does not really take in RSAF pilots (even with beautiful thousands of flying hours in heavyjet & etc).

For those pilots of age over 40, SIA used to carry-out “old-man” scheme which SIA absorbed them. Unfortunately, they do not do it now. The scheme had been phased-off years ago. Those younger RSAF pilots (less than 40 years of age) (with thousands of flying hours in heavyjet & etc) who do not wish to continue their RSAF contract had to seek employment elsewhere and SIA rejected them.

Do you know where do these RSAF pilot ended?

SIA is so famous absorbing the Malaysians! SIA should be only air-operator in the world that offers and trains foreign cadets (from ab-intio stage). They trained foreigners rather than own Singaporeans to be pilots! Right now, SIA is recruiting Indian nationals from India! Seats are already reserved to the India-national Indians. Next, by examining closely at the SIA cock-pit crew employment statistic, more than 60% of the pilots are Malaysians!

Do you know where do these rejected (purely breed and raised in Singapore) Singaporean applicants for cadet/first officer position ended?

Other countries’ national air carrier has been protecting their own citizens. These non-Singapore air-operators (Cathay Pacific, MAS, Thai Airways, United Airlines, Korean Air, Air India, Air Asia and etc) have been training their own citizens. What about SIA? Do you know that SIA has been training non-Singaporean pilots all the while? And do you think Singaporeans will be “protected” in their own national carrier cock-pit employment?

Nobody (Singaporeans) has ever raised this issue and has been keeping quiet all the while.

Anyway, I wish you can finish your CPL training in Canada. It is a beautiful place! Canadians are nice people!