PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling Approach tricks in the simulator.
Old 24th Jun 2007, 13:22
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autopilot use.

Just to amplify a point; The 'tricks' I described earlier I use for BOTH the sim and the real thing. I keep the autopilot/autothrottle engaged until I am assured of correct alignment and decent path. The autopilot gives you much more time to scan outside, to monitor and adjust your progress as you make the approach. Also, with the autolpilot engaged, in the event that you have to carry out a missed approach it is much safer and easier to hit ALT HOLD, ensure the correct Missed Approach ALT is set and comence the Go-around by hitting TOGA. Allow the 'plane to take the strain.
Use all the aids and help you can when carrying out a circling approach. It is almost certainly the most hazardous manoeuvre you will ever carry out and if you don't do them regularly, you need to be very confident of your abilities to do it safely.
Many times you will have to accept a tail wind on the base leg as circling is only permitted to one side of the runway. Then you need to have done your downwind heading/track sums well in advance.
You cannot 'wing' a circling approach and expect to be succesful. If you haven't briefed for it before you make your approach and the wind changes, forcing you into a circling approach, take up the hold and take ten minutes to do the sums and write everything down as I mentioned earlier.
Circling means visual.
Visual doesn't mean manual!!!
Manual is for CAVOK..........well, almost!

Happy and safe landings.