PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young Private Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2007, 08:45
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck to you all! I'm slightly jealous as I didn't really get to fly much or get my PPL until I was in my early 20's though I started at 14. The world really is your oyster, and starting a career in aviation at such a young age gives you huge potential to succeed! Don't worry about the occasional views of some with regard to the "you can't be a pilot" look of disbelief. I get that even now and I'm in my 40's! I don't tend to try and "look" like a pilot and as I'm fairly unimposing in stature and character, I usually get "are you looking for the toilets?" or "have you come for a trail flight?" Try not to be arrogant though, or assume that you are a "better" pilot than the next person, as that will at best loose you friends, and at worst, place you in danger. It's easy to become complacent as you feel naturally more confident about your abilities at a young age ... you become more aware of your limitations and vulnerability as you get older. That said, don’t forget just what a privilege it is to be able to fly, and do continue to have FUN! In other words, don’t just let the flying become the “day job”. I’ve met ATPL’s who never fly light aircraft, moan about aircraft noise and have no doubt lost the ability to ENJOY flying. Then there are others such as Foxmoth who apart from busy careers flying airliners, also fly anything they can get their hands on, just for the fun of it!

Once again, good luck and enjoy!

SS