PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arming Flight Crew -UK
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2001, 01:00
Halfwit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

As one of the few people who still has a FAC for a handgun in the UK and a permit to carry it concealled or not.I find the idea of arming the flight deck to be one of the most rediculous i have ever heard.

For starters with many years of both military and civilian practical pistol experience, i feel that my ability to use a firearm in the confines of a A/C hull is relativly limited, without the danger of injuring an innocent passenger or endangering the aircraft.

In addition to this if an inexperienced person is in posession of a firearm and fails to use it when needed in the appropriate manner then the likleyhood is that he has just handed a functional weapon to a terrorist is exceedingly high. Who can say they would deffinatly shoot in a hostage situation unless they have been in one before!

To counter this some of you may say that if the A/C is going to be used as they were on sept 11 then anything is better than nothing, my answer is yes just lock the door instead.

Are we really addressing the problems ?

Surely to prevent the crimes the criminal should not even be able to board the A/C, therefor rather than arm the flight deck or provide marshals, make sure the airports have their house in order. In the long term this is the answer, whether it is a terrorist or disruptive/drunk passeger.

Good luck to you all and may you never have to face the situation