PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young Private Pilots
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 00:08
Another St Ivian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StH;
There's quite a few of us who have a similar story.

I first soloed at 16, and had my PPL at 17. I could fly across the country and even abroad before I had my driving license.
I'm 21 now, and oddly enough just this week flew from South Wales to your home airfield; Jersey. Night stopped in St Clement actually.

I was trying to think back to any pitfalls or traps I had related to my age at the time. To be honest, I don't think there were many but I do have a few bits of advice.

Try to be reasonably assertive without coming off as arrogant or brash. I remember at 17 dealing with a couple of people in the aviation world who would make assumptions based on your age. Often they were just trying to be helpful but occasionally I felt as if I wasn't being taken seriously. To be fair it was nothing major, but I do remember doing a solo landaway to one airfield, walking into the club house and being asked in a rather condescending manner if I was hanging around for a trial flight. When I said I had flown in, I was asked who the pilot was!

I think a lot of it was to do with it being the first time I was in a situation where I had real responsibility. Don't be afraid to speak up and, if necessary, put your foot down at times.

The other thing I found, and it might be a bit of a broad stroke, was that when I was younger there was more of a tendency to rush things. Not out of any shoddy practice, but perhaps just a little youthful exuberance. Try to slow down, take your time. Enjoy what it is you're doing.

I also found it best to be relatively passive in many situations and soak up as much advice from others as possible. I learnt a lot of very useful tips from just listening to the experiences of those around me.

All in all though, I had a cracking time. I think us younger fliers have a head-start on the old and wrinklies; Our years of computer gaming give us miles on hand eye coordination, reactions and fiddling around with things like GPS's!

Best of luck, and do keep us posted!