PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Auto Distance
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 18:35
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, will you ever learn?

MD900 says,
So if you are doing auto's to a fixed point on an airfield, thats good, you can touch down or do a power recovery depending on your status as an FI if you are teaching, cos throttle management is'nt taught in the UK, from what i've seen to pilots.. So what if you need to auto and do throttle management like a fire in flight (power on) or loss of tail....hmmmm... i'll come back to that
So MD900, you have flown with non-instructors and had autos done to a hover/ground have you? You really do shoot yourself in the foot when you try to have a go at real instructors who also fly commercially in the real world. Some of us don't even instruct anymore. So come on, tell us what you know about throttle management for engine fire in flight?
Then again, maybe like your 'Single Engine' holds out in Norway eh? Go back to the bit about tail rotor failures please as you say you will. Interested to hear your views there mate.
Pointless eh? You, John, are fighting a losing battle here and would be better off putting your energies into something you were good at. Just a quick question? How many exams have you passed for CPL to date? The most important part of an auto is what? Getting into one in the first place if you ask me. You can practice the landings all day but if you don't get into auto immediately when required to do so, what follows is pointless! (see robinson safety video!!) If its for real, get into auto, control the descent, find somewhere half reasonable to land and then flare, level and then pull pitch. I'm sure the insurance company will sort out the last 6'.
Rotors88: Q/ Why recover at 500'? A/ See MightyGems answer above".
I was using it as an example to see how far you would get from 1000' if you were just practising distances etc. You could even use 2000' down to 1000' feet if you wanted !!!
The question wasn't how low should I go when practising autos or even anything to do with landings, unless I can't read.....
Ask a stupid question!!!
Nr Fairy: even a fence is classed as a structure so would depend on how big your field was. I'm not even getting into this argument.