PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Failure - do you know what to do?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2001, 11:36
5milesbaby

Thanks for all the replies. I have to agree 410 that the Aussie way sounds very much more up to date and practical. On our STAR charts we have printed the standing agreements ie. Expect FL160 Lvl Tiger; it would be very useful for RT failed a/c to still meet these and get down on the ground, and I know from previous chats that some say they would actually do this. This is why I posted the thread due to the ambiguity of how the 'rules' are interpreted.

I would have thought at least a Local Standby would be appropriate in this case Gonzo, because as you said, College taught us there may well be further problems we don't know about. Rest assured MTOW though, if you lose the Squalk AND don't communicate, and then try a procedural approach, it will definately be considered a full emergency, and every man and his dog will be following your progress both in the tower and on radar, including D&D.

Also, to add to the 'outside CAS climb', I would highly agree with any pilot who used his own initiative and didn't do this in the area I do, and further west, as most of it is Danger Areas, normally highly active with either lots of high speed dogfights, or live firing. Although we would phone the agency to cancel immediately all activity, this still can take some precious moments to find the right one, normally being a phone number, we only have a few 'direct dial' buttons.

And just a pedantic question for you to try and answer, in UK airspace,how do you climb outside CAS to your flight planned FL, when that level is above FL245? (to aid those not familiar, its all Class B within the entire FIR)