PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius ab-initio program 2006/2007
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 08:41
ChiyaWena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, no I’m not a professor, not in aviation or anything else. Just someone who’s been around long enough to see the big picture.

Dany I think you’ve kind of missed Djaffer’s point. What he’s saying is that MK isn’t the only option for a young mauritian wanting to fly. Of course all of you have the dream for flying for the national carrier, but if it isn’t the best option for you then why kill yourself figuring out how you are going to become I pilot for them.

A lot of us grow up aspiring to be an airline pilot flying a big jet, but that’s purely because as a youngster that is 99% of the aviation we are associated to. And so to us, that’s what being a pilot means, flying for an airline. But there are plenty of other types of aviation out there, and if you ask any airline pilot today, I guarantee that most of them never started in an airline straight away. what about bush flying in Africa, float planes in Canada, aid relief, survey etc etc etc……….. and from my experience any pilot who joins an airline with that sort of background, makes for a better airline pilot.

Now for those of you about to get their nice shinny license, look at all the options, and make MK just one of them. Don’t expect a job anytime soon, I know people, myself included that back in the day, walked the taxiways, hangar corridors, and airport offices, begging for a job, only to have the door slammed in your face. Even offering to fly for free. But you HAVE to get out there. Speak to people in the industry and plan your attack. No one is going to come to you.

Also remember this, MK don’t like doing favours for anyone, and I promise that if you get out there and try find work, MK management will look at it in a positive way and you’ll come across as someone with determination.

Now for those of you that haven’t started training yet, what’s the rush?? If you have cash problems, then forget about flying for a year or 2 and go work overseas and earn some money, what’s wrong with you guys, you’d all rather moan on pprune that you don’t have money . Well newsflash guys, most people starting in aviation don’t have the finances to start, but they make it happen. Go and earn some pounds or dollars, bring it home and then pay for you flying. You aren’t going to miss out on anything, trust me there will still be planes that need pilots in 2 years time. And also keep MK as an option and not a target.

There are cheaper ways of getting your wings than the ones you guys are complaining about.

So I’ll leave you guys with this thought, across the world national airlines employ about 85% locals in their national airline, that’s an average. but more than 90 % of pilots from a particular country don’t fly for their national carrier……………….