PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eagle Gear up Emergency Landing in WB
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 01:50
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm... a bit of a Devils Advocate eh lowerlobe???

I agree with the sentiments here with regards the Dr's broadside through the media. The simple fact is, in this case, the 'better medical facilities' in NZWN were not required, as should be the case in a properly managed event like a fairly straight-forward wheels-up landing. I don't see a problem there at all. The decision was taken presumably after consultation between the tech crew and their ops department, that in that circumstance NZWB was the best option. I agree, for what it's worth. Were there complicating factors like the wheels-up landing being necessitated by airframe damage, on-board emergency (other than the wheels-up) or major systemic failure (again, other than the wheels-up) I'm confident the people involved would again have made the correct decision, with pax safety as a primary consideration and the availability of medical resources as anticipated a priority.

A few factors perhaps in favour of NZWB:
  • An 'easy' approach path in an area renowned for benign wx conditions -don't know what conditions were on the day though.
  • Disruption due a disabled aircraft on the runway: minimal
  • Ongoing operation at the airport: Available -Air2There and SoundsAir both reported in the media continuing into NZWB without disruption. That both operate C208 may have helped!
  • Proximity to appropriate engineering facilities
  • Proximity to facilities which enabled the pax to continue their disrupted travel: Again, Air2There and SoundsAir, along with other options.
  • Proximity to anticipated necessary medical facilities: appropriate to the circumstances.
Now to the NZWN option which you seem to endorse:
  • An airport renowned (with good reason) for turbulence and in-flight upsets on approach -again, I don't know the conditions on the day. You need look no further than YouTube to see what can happen.
  • A single runway. The airport would have been closed until the aircraft was cleared at least, possibly longer if TAIC for example needed to conclude a scene examination.
  • Major disruption to Domestic, International and feeder flights, inconveniencing potentially thousands of travellers.
  • NZWN is a 'hub' airport on the main trunk. The entire national air transport network would have suffered at least some disruption as a consequence.
The good Dr in question has taken it upon himself to fire a broadside at the professionalism of the flight-crew and others solely to make political capital for himself. To see that as anything more or less is giving the guy far more credit than he's due. As others have said, he should stick to what he knows.

I agree Cypher, a letter to the Editor is well indicated -but please, check your syntax and spelling before posting it -otherwise we all look like d!ckheads!!! Professionalism, appreciation and exorbitant might help your case. Keep in mind that professionalism extends beyond your actions in the cockpit too...