PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toilets overflow on Continental flight
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 23:12
Lord Mount

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woah...easy there Merlinxx!

I am not in any way saying that this should be classed as acceptable on a modern airliner. The passengers should be compensated for the uncomfortable journey they had to endure.

What I am saying is that in todays litigious society there is an undeniable tendency to make mountains out of molehills in the expectation of higher and, in my personal view, ridiculous payouts.

To say "I felt like I had been physically abused and neglected" is rather over dramatising things. Having worked with cases of neglect and physical abuse I find those comments extremely distasteful.

"To be blatantly honest, I was more nervous than I had ever been on a flight,"............Why? I am sure that the crew conducted a dynamic risk assessment and had the passengers been in any danger, the pilots would have diverted.

Lets get things in perspective. Toilets sometimes overflow. It seems from the pictures that the cabin crew made sterling efforts to clean up and minimise the discomfort, but discomfort is all it was.

I can presume that, having already endured an unscheduled overnight stop, a poll of the passengers (Would you rather we landed and sorted the toilet or press on to our original destination?) would have produced an overwhelming response to continue the flight.

Is it acceptable? .........No
Do the Pax have a right to complain?.........Yes
Should the Pax be compensated?...........Yes
Were the Pax in any danger?..........No
Is it worthy of a TV news item?............No

As stated by Shaft 109, there are much more important things to be worried about.

Last edited by Lord Mount; 21st Jun 2007 at 23:35.