PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Capts discretion
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 20:11
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

This is a very thorny issue which often seems to enter a grey area - when it shouldn't.

I have had three ocassions where i had discretion imposed on me, making mine (and some of my colleagues) duty hours that day illegal.

On both occasions, the aircraft was closed up against the cabin crews statement that they were beyond the limit of any legal duty , an air of denial pervaded, and on one occasion aggression was used to force us into a very difficult position/operate the duty.

I fully realise that the operation of any flight is the overall responsibility of the Captain, but crews should not be forced to work when their limit is reached, and it is very easy for a pilot to decide whether someone is fatigued or not, when that person can tell him themselves having been on their feet for 12-15 hours often facing very difficult situations and hostility from passengers.

What is the point of ignoring 'cast in stone' hours limitations when it is just as important as any other safety protocol and has a legal element to it ?

I don't mind doing any long/difficult duty , as long as it is legal, i am not lied to / denial becomes flavour of the day when the subject is mentioned.......

The worst thing is perhaps, that when you have one of those awful days , when you are delayed 6/7 hours on the ground, it is very uncommon to see (certainly in the situations i have encountered) a pilot actually come into the cabin to show presence/placate and reassure tired/angry farepaying customers......... of course , i know of many pilots who would, but on these occasions, no sign