PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet - Crew Discussions
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:25
Airbourne-Adamski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The incident has also been covered by a number of national newspapers.

Thoughts go out to the family,
And also the crew who dealt with the situation.

It is amazing though how from what I read in the paper slightly differs from what bbc news reported.

From The Mirror yesterday (20-6-07)

AN air passenger told yesterday how a mum-of-five was convulsed by a fatal seizure aboard a holiday jet as her family looked on in helpless horror.

Isatu Taylor was sitting next to Lesley Brooke, 41, who was flying back to Britain with her daughter Hailey, 13, and her partner's sons Dominic, seven, and Joshua, five.

She said: "At the airport the woman looked like she had jaundice. She was really yellow and waxy and could hardly walk.

Almost as soon as she got on the plane she wasn't breathing properly. She was shaking and not speaking well. We gave her cushions and told her to try to breathe while she held on to her daughter.

"I closed my eyes for a moment and heard the daughter scream.

"I looked up and saw the woman frothing at the mouth with her hands stretched out in front of her like they were frozen solid.

"The stewards tried twice to give her oxygen but it didn't seem to make any difference. Her husband tried to pull her up in the seat because she was sinking down. Then a nurse rushed over and got her on the floor."

The nurse, a 30-year-old woman called Naomi from Cambridge, said: "The woman looked very ill and yellow at the airport. I don't think they should have let her on the flight.

"About 20 minutes after take-off she had some sort of seizure. By then, she was really unwell. Her pulse was barely there.

"We dragged her on to the floor and carried out resuscitation until the plane landed which must have been after about 20 minutes.

"The crew only had a first aid kit. But, to be honest, she probably wouldn't have made it anyway.

"The cabin crew asked me if they needed to redirect the flight and I said 'Yes, as soon as possible'.

"They asked me how serious it was. I said 'Basically she's dying - you can't get more serious than that'.

"There was another nurse on board who helped me. But from the moment we got the woman on the floor she didn't have a pulse."

Mrs Brooke, of Sheffield, was flying with her family early yesterday aboard an easyJet Boeing 737 from Palma, Majorca, to Luton, Beds.

She was sitting with her daughter near the middle of the plane while partner Paul Birds, 45, and the boys sat near the back.

Lesley was laid in the aisle as crew and the two nurses vainly battled to resuscitate her.

The flight was redirected to Barcelona where paramedics boarded the plane. Isatu said she was carried past other passengers without even a blanket to cover her.

The emergency medics tried to save Lesley for a further 20 minutes. But their efforts were in vain. She was declared dead at Barcelona's Hospital de Bellvitge.

Lesley was believed to have anaemia. But last night her appalled father Wilfrid, 64, insisted: "She was fit and healthy.

"The only pointer to what happened is that she complained in phone calls to home that her feet were swelling up while on holiday.

"We just put it down to sunburn and left it at that. Nobody could have imagined it would come to this."

Lesley's eldest son Gareth, 24, said: "There was nothing medically wrong with my mum.

"She was a fun-loving person and a fantastic mother-of-five. Her children were her life. We want to know why this has happened."

Lesley and engineer Paul travelled to Majorca in a 12-strong party with Wilfrid, his wife Kathleen, 58, neighbours and friends.

Most of the party flew back to England after a week. But Lesley, Paul and the children stayed on.

Wilfrid said: "Apparently Lesley got to the airport and the airline staff were concerned about her.

"I was told they noticed she wasn't well. A doctor was called and she was certified fit to fly.

"On the flight she was asleep on Hailey's shoulder when Hailey realised something was wrong with her mother, and started screaming.

"Two nurses on the flight examined Lesley and told the pilot it would be better to land the plane."

The flight's 115 passengers returned to Britain yesterday afternoon.

A chaplain was on hand at Luton airport to offer counselling.

easyJet said: "Our crew followed procedures and did a fantastic job in difficult circumstances. It was not brought to their attention before boarding that the woman was ill.

"Our deepest condolences go to the family."