PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 13:00
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

Further to my last, I've just been sent this link ref airliners, accidents and fatalities. http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm
For the benifit of us all, but especially those of you who question civilan accident rates, especially the short fat chap, please take a close look at them. Especially in regard to your statement about I think you might be surprised, and even a little embarrassed at your previous post that I laughed at. You can read the stats as well as I can, so I won't bore you with them, but may I just read you one statistic from the openig paragraph, it says...

'Accidents are extremely rare, with the probability of a passenger being killed on a single flight at approximately eight million-to-one. If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would be approximately 22,000 years before he or she would be killed.'

22,000 years is a hell of a long time and I know someone will come back and say that you can make stats look and say whatever you want, but these are the facts. It's no consolation of course if you are in that minute % that make the statistics, but just think about that SFO, 22,000 years.

Now, given that, do you still think that MR2 and MR4 have an 'acceptable risk' factor, and would you consider amending your commenst about airliners?

TSM