PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737NG engine fire just below V1
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 11:32
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fat Dog,

Hey!, we agree. In the spirit of the thread (Fire Warning before V1), my reference to not knowing any aircraft that had any fire warning automatic inhibit, I was referring to the BEFORE V1 case. As you have quoted for the B757 -

"Warning Inhibits

The Master WARNING lights and fire bell are inhibited for fire during part of the
takeoff. The inhibit begins at rotation and continues until the first to occur:

• 400 feet AGL, or
• 20 seconds elapsed time

If a fire occurs during the inhibit, an EICAS warning message appears, but the fire bell and Master WARNING lights do not activate. If the warning condition still exists when the inhibit is removed, the fire bell and Master WARNING lights activate immediately."

This is common-place with most aircraft in the modern era for both Boeing and Airbus. My reference was with respect to inhibit below V1.

If you look at the philosophy that the two major manufacturers have used, we can see -

(1) Master Caution is inhibited at a quite low speed below V1, to prevent unnecessary rejects for "less than serious" unserviceabilities, AND

(2) Master Warning and Fire Bell is typically inhibited from V1/Vr through to approximately 400 feet or so, to prevent excessive crew reaction for a SHORT period (you've quoted 20 seconds) during the critical initial flight phase.

Putting these 2 inhibit conditions together, we are left with SERIOUS warnings, such as the fire bell, still completely active right up to V1 or rotation.

Why? Because in the infinite wisdom and experience of Boeing and Airbus, these SERIOUS warnings must not be inhibited at the pre-V1 flight phase so that the appropriate action may be taken by operating crews. And what is the appropriate action that Boeing and Airbus are trying to initiate? REJECT REJECT REJECT!

I think that your quote from Boeing said it all!

Regards,

Old Smokey