PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye PPRUNE...
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 04:36
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick Squid

I salute you for your words of wisdom. The eloquence of a true professional.

Might I add that this 'profession' of ours, including many on this forum, is wrought with ego-maniacs. Those without the courage to accept piloting an aeroplane for what it is.

Training for the unexpected can fill us, even overwhelm us, with overconfidence. To the point of cockiness. Be suspicious of those among us who haven't the ability to differentiate.

I for one have been humbled by both simulator and aeroplane a sufficient number of times during my professional flying career to know that it is much wiser to check ones ego at the door, lest Murphy remind you of just how limited your abilities REALLY are.

I go intentionally out of my way during simulation instruction to avoid letting my students 'crash'. Perhaps this is a somewhat naieve approach, but IMHO it serves no useful purpose in my mind other than to shake the confidence of crews entrusted to transport the travelling public from A to B. How can I return a crew to line flying having faced the prospect that in such an extreme situation, they failed to survive? To read your comments on how it affected you might prove my point.

To me the net result is nothing but negative training.

The egotists among us will never see it that way...
in fact, they will continue to scoff at those they perceive to be less 'worthy' of their wings. Scoff at others whom they deem to be not worthy of their services and abilities. Not 'paying' a sufficient enough wage for their professional skills...
what a load of twaddle.

The loss of any human life, however it happens, is tragic. The smart remarks read over the last couple of years in this forum by some who 'know it all' amazes me.

But, it doesn't surprise me.

Welcome to the World Wide Web.

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: Willie Everlearn ]

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: Willie Everlearn ]