PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Clarkson in The Sunday Times
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2001, 15:07
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As a frequent user of Virgin intercity trains and occasional Manch/Heathrow shuttle or BMI passsenger I am frequently amazed at the flack Virgin get while the airlines get away with a far less punctual or reliable service.

Wilmslow/Euston first class return is about £220, about the same or slightly less than the airfare. I use the train about 3 times a month, sometimes more, and (apart from the post-Hatfield slow downs, now history) it's usualy on time or within a few minutes. Worst ever was 1hr 30mins late due loco breakdown (I've had that twice). I've never had a train cancelled, but I know it occasionally happens. And the on-board service is superb, with, on morning trains, the best breakfast I know.

The aeroplane, in contrast, is nearly always late - often very late. And it gets cancelled frequently. And it's not a nice experience - hanging around airports (I can arrive at Wilmslow station just before the train and hop straight onto it). Awful cattle-herding airport staff. Nasty cramped conditions on board.

It's fashionable to knock trains post privatisation, but IMHO the journos should put the boot into competeing short (but expensive) inter city air services, where it more properly belongs.

Whaever happened to BA's 'walk-on' shuttle service?

SSD