PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2007, 09:24
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've no idea who Skyman works for, I can honestly say that I do not work for any of the airports in the NE. I used to, but not now.

Turn the clock back a few (about 15-17) years. NCL was struggling in relation to other regional airports and particularly EDI, GLA, LBA and MAN.

The marketing team at NCL started their roadshow programme in conjunction with the top tour operators of the time. They hit loads of towns in the 30 - 60 mile radial band. They held roadshows in all the towns around MME, all the Border towns etc. The response was almost instant and massive. They did these for 3 or 4 years and NCL took off with double digit % growth.

AT that time MME's marketing manager - the department of 1 - had virtually no budget and was not as dynamic as his counterpart up North.

The NCL initiative might have fallen flat and cost them thousands, but you have to be prepared to put out if you want to gain.

Don't knock MME/DTV; it's a good airport - I've enjoyed flying from there several times when times/destinations suit better than NCL down the road. It is incredibly difficult for an airport to attract new airlines, get new routes started etc.without giving away any hope of making a shilling - and if you don't make the shilling you might as well not bother.