PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 20th Jun 2007, 15:14
EnigmAviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for 17 year old sons

Before getting into the merits or otherwise of current RAF recruitment targets etc., the problem for this young man's father is where I was many years ago.

Before any young person can realise his/her potential they need to have a target that they themselves need to identify. Aim at nothing and you stand every chance of hitting it!

Good parental advice can sometimes go OTT and be mistaken for pushing in a particular direction whereas the role is one of personal adviser and helping them to see ALL of everyone's shop windows, whilst having a good understanding of where their best skills lie.

Having arrived at a target, then the only way the target can be realised is to have internal self motivation - without this, all is lost - no matter how hard parents try.

Been there, done it, seen the video - mine was lazy but talented, until finding his target, then how things changed and his hunger for success was without limit.

I've spent years flying and training many future RAF and civil pilots in HM's private airline, and many, with a lot of non-politically correct motivational words have gone on to be just what they wanted to be. The secret is good honest broker advice, good balanced information, and assisting in making their plans work. I'm proud to have done my bit for those who have succeeded.

At the end of all this, if the RAF figures in their plan, then THEY need to gather advice on a wider basis and, as many have said in this thread, remember that recruiters have targets to achieve, and they may have their own motives for recommends. Caveat Aviator !!!

All the best in your endeavours